Tuesday, July 10, 2012

USA Day 24 - I'm going to Graceland

Total States Visited: 13
Where Are We Sleeping Tonight: Sikeston, Missouri

After what was a very unique night, we awoke to one of the most picturesque vistas ever. The calm water looked like glass, the early morning mist disturbed only by a couple of fishermen in a row boat drifting by. Still, we packed up and headed off as quickly as possible as it was already stinking hot at 8am! After showering at a Kangaroo Express truck stop, we were off to Memphis to visit Graceland.

 

On the way, we stopped at Jim Neeley's Interstate BBQ and oh my God - this would have to be the best food ever!! Normally, I am no fan of baked beans but I could have eaten these forever. We forced ourselves to finish the delicious chicken wings, just for Elvis.

 

Graceland was not as large as I had expected, proof that while Elvis had style and taste, he didn't over indulge. Don't get me wrong, he had 24 karat gold plated seat belts on his private planes, his own racket ball court with gallery, a TV room with a mirrored roof and a jungle room with indoor waterfall, but he didn't have servants or a butler's pantry or on olympic size swimming pool. Despite everything being 70's decor, I think it was tastefully done to the point where I would be happy to live there without making any changes. It is definitely a high point of the holiday which I will never forget.








After visiting Graceland, we crossed over the Mississippi River into Arkansas before heading up to Sikeston in Missouri where we found a restaurant known for bread roll food fights - Lambert's Cafe. We went to eat there but sadly they had already closed for the night :(

No comments:

Post a Comment