Monday, June 18, 2012

USA Day 2 - let's go shopping

Total States Visited: 1
Where Are We Sleeping Tonight: Doubletree LAX

We drove to the Paley Center For The Media in Beverly Hills today for the Debbie Reynolds Auction where she is selling off all the Hollywood memorabilia that she has accumulated over the years. There were lots of great movie memorabilia and we got to see Debbie Reynolds (via monitor) but the auction was very very VERY slow. It took over 2 hours to get to lot 70 of the 700 lots! Starving hungry, we left before the antique camera that we were interested in came up for auction - I wonder how much it went for.

Paley Center For Media

Outside the Paley Center, some random guy asked us a directions, to which we said we didn't know. Noticing that we didn't sound like Americans, he asked where we were from. After I told him Australia, he said "Cool - say hi to Paul Hogan for me" - classic :) We wondered down Rodeo Drive and found The Cheesecake Factory which was perfected placed to fill our lunch needs. It was basically a large licensed Dome but oh my God - the food was delicious. I had one of the best pizzas I have ever eaten - a Four Seasons. Yum doesn't even begin to adequately describe how delicious it was.

4 Seasons Pizza

With our tummys full, we had a leisurely stroll along Rodeo Drive and even visited the occasional store - but no, we didn't buy anything. Clare found some expensive shoes and some expensive hand bags that she wished we could afford... it was either a pair of shoes or 3 months driving around America... Back in the car, we drove to the end of Rodeo Drive and passed the Beverly Wiltshire Hotel, famous from Pretty Woman. Having spent several hours in Beverly Hills, we had to do some shopping. So we visited the local Wal*Mart!

Walmart Yay!

As we plan to do a lot of camping on this trip, we need to stock up on camping supplies and what better place is there for cheap camping supplies? My goodness this place is huge - especially if locals get lost in it! I overheard a couple saying they couldn't find the coffee. As I had passed that isle just a minute ago, I told them where it was. The lady thanked me - everyone here is so polite and friendly :) We had a look for coffins that WalMart sell, but we couldn't find them (must be only available online). With our trolley full, we loaded up the Ford, ready for 3 months of driving adventure!

Let's go camping

With the sun setting in the west, we decided to head back to our hotel. I got in the correct (left) side to drive but for some stupid reason I reached over my right shoulder to grab the seatbelt! Wrong side stupid! And I still can't get the hang of being able to turn right on a red light - I have seen a lot of car's do it, as well as signs stating when it isn't allowed, but I wonder if it's a California thing, or an entire country thing... I guess if I get stopped in Nevada for running a red light we will know for sure! And to make things worse, I think I saw a dog driving a car!

there's a dog driving that car!

Too tired to venture out, we had room service for dinner - a wonderful lobster ravioli in cream sauce... mmmmmmmm :) One thing I am loving over here, are the wonderful TV commercials

No comments:

Post a Comment