Friday, June 15, 2012

Let's Get Outta Here!

All holidays start with packing. It's something we all know we have to do. We had written up a list of things we needed to do before we could leave, which included tidying up the house for our house sitters - we certainly weren't going to leave our house sitting empty for 3 months. So in the middle of cleaning and packing, the house sitters arrived early! And then Clare's parents arrived to see us off. Rushing around in a hectic craze, we threw everything in the car, including our Canon 5D mark II and our Canon Powershot G11, jumped in and headed off up to Perth. As I always do on a 2 hour trip to Perth, my mind constantly asks "did we forget anything?" and usually it is something small, like I forgot to pack a jacket. By the time we got to Perth, we had realised that not only had I forgot to pack a jacket to wear in freezing cold New Zealand, but we didn't have an SD card for the G11, and we hadn't packed our portable photo hard drive to store all the photos we were going to take! Let's face it, it wasn't anything to bad, but we were going to have to assess what we were going to do when we filled up our CF cards and replacement SD cards. We got to the airpot early as we wanted to have a look around the duty free shops for SD cards and possibly a new laptop to store all the photos on. Checking in at Air New Zealand, the girl behind the counter had issues with Clare's USA visa. After checking with her supervisor, she managed to fix what ever problem she was having. Then, it was my turn - she was now having issues with my visa.

Possibly working her first day, the check in girl insisted that my visa hadn't been approved. Having checked online and having printed out the approval, I knew this wasn't the case. The girl said I needed to check that it hadn't been revoked so I headed to the nearest internet cafe and sure enough, there was nothing wrong with my visa. Back at the counter, the girl refused to believe me and after a very circular conversation where she said she was having a major problem with the system, she handed us over to her supervisor. The supervisor was very nice and apologised and said that she could see that my visa had been approved but that the system would no longer accept any input about it. She gave Clare her boarding passes to the US, but she could only give me my one to Auckland. We will have to deal with it in Auckland. I can't believe we spent almost 2 hours trying to check in.

The next stop was to pick up the travellers cheques Clare had ordered. Still worrying about the possibility of me being stranded in Auckland, we found out that Clare hadn't ordered 5 grand in travellers cheques - she had order 5 grand IN CASH! With the teller pilling up all these bundles of cash, Clare had a melt down - everything today had gotten too much for her. It turns out that no one does travellers cheques anymore as they are easily forged (could have fooled me - literally). We knew that we didn't want to walk around with $5000 on us, so we had to convert it over to the cash passport credit card. With our flight now boarding, we had to run to catch our flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment