Sunday, November 18, 2012

Can't believe this didn't make the list!

I think it's safe to say that I am a geek - between wanting a deLorean/TARDIS and hoping to stay at the Sidi Driss Hotel in Tunisia, there isn't much in geekdom that I am not a fan of. That said, I have never been so big of a fan to own a Starfleet uniform, speak Klingon or to cosplay as The Doctor... but that was before I had heard of the 501st. I forget when and where I first found out about the 501st, all I know it was years ago and I remember thinking "that would be cool - if only I had a costume"

The best thing about the 501st is that it's not just about nerds getting together to complain about the screen accuracy of each other's 'uniforms' - they do a lot of charity work which I think is great. Even still, actually join gin them seemed a tad bit extreme as I wouldn't say I was that big of a Star Wars fan. Don't get me wrong, when I was in primary school, I breathed Star Wars - my best friend and I used to quiz each other on dialogue from the films. Once the 1990's came around, my enthusiasm for the original trilogy began to diminish. By the time the Special Editions were hitting cinemas, I reached a point where I couldn't be bothered seeing them on the big screen.

With the 3 disappointing prequels came one major plus - my enthusiasm for Star Wars had been rekindled. Suddenly everyone was a Star Wars fan despite hating what George Lucas had dished up. I think he has been unfairly picked on to the point where he has been bullied out of making movies. And now, with Disney now owning LucasFilm and promising a new trilogy of films to be released, I am once again excited about the franchise. Even so, I still wouldn't consider myself a big enough nerd to buy a costume. As such, when I came to make up my 40 Before 40 list, owning a Star Wars costume didn't cross my mind.

Less than a month ago, my wife and I welcomed our son into the world. Unfortunately he has some medical issues which required him to spend a week in the NICU nursery. The staff there were fantastic and made as feel like it was our second home. So when I saw on TV that the local 501st had raised a lot of money for the children's hospital, I felt so proud of them. So much so that I want to get a costume and join them.

The obvious question is just which costume do I want to own and wear. Watching the local garrison of the 501st I couldn't help but notice the huge number of stormtroopers. I mean if I was at a gathering with them, I would forget who was under which helmet! Not wanting to blend into anonymity, I have decided that the costume for me is the biker scout.

Featured in "Return Of The Jedi", the biker scouts are seen running around on the forest moon of Endor, being out smarted by ewoks... sigh. Their obvious stupidity aside (seriously, wearing bright white in the jungle?) I have always like the look of their uniform over that of the puffy checked stormtroopers.

So with a costume choice made, it is now time to actually purchase it. Not wanting to rush into it, I have started by buying the gloves for the huge price of $19.95 - settle down there big spender! Never the less, it is official - I am on the road to becoming a biker scout!

No comments:

Post a Comment